Walter O. Rogers Insurance Agency LLC
Free quotes (607) 334-8924
Over 40 years of family expertise and quality service


Including Rental Properties



Homeowners insurance (HO) provides property and liability insurance for private home and requires at least one of the named insureds occupies the home. A Dwelling (DP) policy is similiar but used for residences which don't qualify for a homeowners policy for various reasons (ie. vacancy, non-owner occupied, seasonal, secondary residence, age, etc.). Have your agent explain the differences between HO and DP coverage.


  • HO1 - Basic Form Homeowner Insurance - Provides coverage against 11 listed perils including fire or lightening, vandalism or malicious mischief, theft, damage from vehicles and aircraft, explosion riot or civil commotion, glass breakage, smoke, volcanic eruption, and personal liability. Exceptions include floods, earthquakes.roperty and liability nsurance covering private homes.
  • HO2 - Broad Form Homeowner Insurance - More advanced coverage against 17 listed perils (including all 11 HO1). A "named perils" policy, listing the covered events.
  • HO3 - Special Form Homeowner Insurance - Most comprehensive for single-family homes. Provides "All Risk" coverage on the home with perils excluded, such as earthquake and flood. Contents covered on a named peril basis. If it is not specifically excluded, it is covered.
  • HO4 - Renter's Insurance - "Tenants" form covering personal property against the same perils as the contents portion of HO2 or HO3.
  • HO5 - Premier Homeowner Insurance - HO3 and more... Contents are covered on an open peril basis. As long as the cause is not specifically excluded it will be covered for that cause of loss (or could endorse an HO15 to the HO3).
  • HO6 - Condominium Policy - for condomium owners.
  • HO8 - Older Homes - for owner-occupied older homes whose replacement cost far exceeds the property's market value.


Most who own, lease, or rent property should have some version of home insurance.

There are different types of homeowners policies for renters, condominium owners, etc. Get a clear explanation of the many homeowners insurance options and how they can protect your homes unique needs at an affordable cost.

You will need to determine the right coverage by estimating the replacement cost of your home.

This is the amount to repair the damage or to rebuild the home to its pre-loss condition. It is recommended that your homeowners policy limit be atleast equal to the estimated replacement cost. The replacement cost is NOT the market value, and NOT the purchase price or even the outstanding balance of your mortgage loan. A reputable builder in your area can help you determine your homes replacement cost.

A typical homeowners insurance policy is a package policy combining four types of coverages including dwelling, personal property (clothes, TV, Computers, etc.), additional living expenses, and personal liability (in case of lawsuits arising from things that happen on your property) and medical payments.


The first part of your homeowners policy is the declaration page. You need to check important facts.

Here is a sample declaration page:Homeowners Dec pageClick for enlarged version

  • Homeowners COVERAGE A - Dwelling is your home including structures attached.
  • Homeowners COVERAGE B - Other Structures is any structure on the premises that are not attached to the dwelling (ie. detached garage, shed, etc.).
  • Homeowners COVERAGE C - Personal Property covers your belongings or property not attached to the home (ie. jewelry, clothes, collections, cash, electronic entertainment, etc.)
  • Homeowners COVERAGE D - Loss of Use, if a loss occurs that makes your house unlivable, insurance will cover additional living expenses up to the policy limit.
  • Homeowners COVERAGE E - Personal Liability, if you're sued for causing bodiliy injury or property damage you have a limited coverage.
  • Homeowners COVERAGE F - Medical Payments to Others will pay a small amount of medical payments if you were personally responsible for the injury.

  • Typical Exclusions include intential loss, earthquakes, flood including *sewer backup (*can be covered by endorsement), war, landslide, and nuclear hazard. Mold and bacteria coverage varies from policy to policy.


    Home insurance property damage coverage deals with damage to your home and personal property.

    Other structures such as a detached garage are usually covered for 10 percent of the amount of coverage on your house

        Personal property coverage will pay for all personal property in the home including home appliances, furniture, clothing and personal belongings. 

        The amount of insurance coverage available is normally 50 percent of the homeowners insurance policy limit on your dwelling. 

        The coverage is also limited by the types of loss listed in the policy.  The coverage only pays the current cash value of the item destroyed, unless you purchase replacement cost coverage.

        Your homeowners insurance policy also provides off-premises coverage.  This means that the policy covers your belongings against theft even when they are not inside your home.  Your insurer will reimburse you for the cost of replacing your suitcase and its contents if it were lost while you were on vacation, but only replacing them with items of like kind and quality.

    Your homeowner's insurance policy may provide only limited coverage for furs, jewelry, silver, and other valuables. 

    It may be necessary to insure these valuables with a special addition to your homeowner's insurance policy, such as a personal property floater. A personal property floater itemizes each article, gives a description of the article insured, and lists excluded perils. It often provides coverage that is broader than the coverage granted in the home insurance policy.

    You should discuss this with your insurance company or agent to determine the availability and cost of this additional coverage.Your homeowner's insurance policy does not cover your pets, your car, and any   aircraft. Although your policy does not cover your pet or damage it does to your   possessions, it will cover damage your pet does to others or their possessions.

    Homeowner's policies provide personal liability coverage that applies to non-auto accidents on and off your property if the injury or damage is caused by you, a member of your family, or your pet.

    The liability coverage in your policy pays both for the cost of defending you and paying for any damages the court rules you must pay. And unlike the other coverage in your policy, liability insurance does not have a deductible that you must meet before the insurer begins to pay losses. The basic limit for liability coverage is usually $100,000 for each occurrence. You can request higher limits that are available for an additional cost.

    Medical payments coverage pays if someone outside your family is injured at your home regardless of fault. This includes payment for reasonable medical expenses incurred within one year from the date of loss for a person who is injured in an accident in your home. The coverage does not apply to you and members of your household.

    The medical payments portion of your homeowner's insurance policy will also pay if you are involved in the injury of another person away from your home in some limited circumstances. Medical payments coverage limits are generally $1,000 for each person. Higher limits of medical payments coverage are available at additional cost.

    If it is necessary for you to move into a motel or apartment temporarily because of damage caused by a peril covered by your policy, your insurance company will pay reasonable and necessary additional living expenses.

    The typical policy will pay an amount up to 20% of the policy limit on your dwelling for these expenses. If you move in temporarily with a friend or relative and do not have any extra expenses, you will not be paid any additional living expenses by your insurance company.